What you need:
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced (about one 5” piece)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander (substitute Italian seasoning)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (red) lentils, rinsed
- 16 oz cooked chickpeas
- 2 1/2 cup stock
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (tamari)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- Sauté the onion on a medium heat with a pinch of salt until caramelising, about 8 min.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté an additional 2-4 min, until the raw aroma has subsided.
- Add the spices (you may need more oil) and cook until fragrant, then add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes.
- Add the rinsed lentils and chickpeas, coat well in the tomato mix.
- Add the stock and nutritional yeast. Increase heat until boiling, then turn down heat to simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick. Add water or stock as needed.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add the tamari and lemon juice.
- Serve with drizzled cashew cream and (optional) chopped cilantro. Pair with naan, sourdough bread, or quinoa.
Cashew Cream Sauce (optional)
- Soak 1/2 cup cashews in hot water for 20-30 min
- Add to a blender the soaked cashews, 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/3 cup water, and 1 clove of garlic.
Interested in starting CrossFit with us? Schedule your free consultation HERE!