What you need:
- 2 cups oats, certified gluten-free
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp wheat germ*
- 1 tbsp chia seeds*
- 1 tbsp flax seed (ground)*
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder*
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper/aluminum foil and grease.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- In a small pot, over medium heat, bring your coconut oil, brown sugar and honey to a simmer, stirring continually.
- After a minute of simmering, take your pot OFF of the heat and add in your vanilla. If you simmer it longer than one minute you may burn your sugar. **Also, be aware that when you add in your vanilla it may bubble up a bit in the pan.
- Pour the wet ingredients from your pot over the dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated.
- Spread out into a thin, even layer on your baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- While the granola is cooling it will get it’s crunch, so don’t be worried if it comes out and isn’t crunchy yet. Let it cool for about 30 minutes or so, break up and enjoy!
This is awesome on it’s own and is a great to sprinkle over a bowl of fruit or yogurt. There are several optional ingredients that we use everytime, but make it your own. If you add protein powder, it will affect the flavor. Vanilla is a better choice in my mind, but hey, you do you!
Interested in starting CrossFit with us? Schedule your free consultation HERE!